During the summer holiday, we offer UWE internships to University of the West of England (UWE) students.
What do we offer
While we can’t guarantee the sun and sand, we can bring the opportunity to make a splash during your summer!
If you’re a current UWE student, join us for an 8-week full time paid summer internship. We offer our internships in a variety of areas. These include: engineering, customer services, marketing, water quality, HR, learning and development, research and many more.
Who are we?
Well we’re glad you ask! If you’re a UWE student, the chances are you drink, shower and clean in our water every single day.
We serve over 1.2million of us in the westcountry with sparkly clean drinking water at the turn of a tap. That’s right students: our tap water allows some of the finest ciders in the land to be made! We’ve served students for nearly 175 years, providing tap water for all that brain power you use!
It sounds so easy, but there’s a complex operation beating away under the streets of Bristol and Somerset. This includes a huge variety of jobs. From relocating endangered species prior to a project start, to analysing customer data, to maintaining a pipe network that can stretch to Madagascar if it was laid flat! A career in water is anything but boring.
Well, as an intern with us, you’ll have real responsibility. Wherever possible, you’ll manage your very own end-to-end project over your 8 weeks to gain some real depthy experience with us. You’ll also get to shadow experts in your chosen area of interest. Below is a snapshot of some of the areas we may look for interns in during our next UWE internship recruitment process:
- Consumer data. So, if you’re data savvy and able to spot trends this might be for you.
- Marketing and PR. Now marketing for a water company might sound strange, but it’s really important. We use it to influence positive behaviours. Think things like saving water to help the planet.
- Asset management. We’ve enough pipes to stretch to Madagascar and 100+ sites across the region. This means we need to manage our land and resources effectively.
- Customer services. With your best smile and can do attitude, you’ll help customers over the phone, email or social media and help problem solve.
- HR. Each year we carry out 100s of internal training courses. You will support with the development of new training materials and the delivery – that’s right, we’ll learn from you!
- Ecology. We look after our beautiful reservoirs and land, as well as consulting on e.g., pipe replacement schemes that we carry out across the region. Some of our sites are Sites of Special Scientist Interest (SSSIs) and previous projects have seen us relocate newts, mice and bats as well as looking at how we can improve and maintain biodiversity.
- Water quality. This is one for the science grads. Each year, we carry out thousands of water samples to make sure our water is in tip top condition.
What are we looking for?
We’re looking for hydrophilic and optimistic undergraduate and postgraduate students studying at UWE. We welcome any degree subject. As long as you aren’t afraid of taking the lead, using initiative and being up for hard work.
What we’re looking for more than anything is enthusiasm. Show that you’ve carefully researched the role and looked through our resource pages will really help set you apart. Our CV buster or careers in water pages will help. You’ll also need to be free to work full time during the summer holiday period. No fans of dry humour, please (get it?)
How do I apply?
Applications are currently closed and will open in the spring.
When they open, a form will appear on this page.